Sunday, November 16, 2008

The (edible) things that I will miss about Hawaii...

Number one- Manapua

Manapua is the hawaiian version of the Chinese steamed bun- but bigger and therefore better. It is a hamburger sized pastry sort-of thingy. The bready outside is slightly sweet...


and inside there is any one of various types of Asian-flavored meats. My favorite is the barbecue pork. Which for some reason is a bright pink color.

Second, is Poi Mochi.

Poi Mochi is most often sold at stands in the parking lot of a grocery store or a Walmart. It smells like funnel cakes, which is what led me to purchase it in the first place. The outside looks and tastes like a donut, but inside is a purple, gooey substance, which is both delicious and confusing.


I have since learned, that poi, is made from the starchy, potato-like "taro root", which is often compared to a sweet potato, adding to my confusion, as I am not a fan of sweet potatoes, but I seem to enjoy "poi".

Third, and lastly, is sugar cane drink. Have you ever wanted to drink sugar? I sure have!
In reality, a can of sugar cane drink has less sugar than a mountain dew, but it tastes something like rock candy in a liquid form. Although it is not really a "Hawaiian" treat, it is easy to find here because of the heavy Asian influence.

6 comments:

Rachel Bostwick said...

My big lots microwave popcorn is blushing. That all looks delicious.

Rachel Bostwick said...

p.s. I am playing Serpent Isle right now which always makes me think of you, and the orphanages we would build in the run down Troll castle and the Knight's Test...

Curtis said...

Sugar Cane drink is gross!

Sarah said...

Rach- Can you buy Serpent Isle anywhere? I might like to actually play it for once, as opposed to only using the cheat codes to make orphanages! LOL!

Curtis Helsley, you are crazy, sugar cane drink is what we will drink in heaven.

Michelle said...

Manapua is something I still miss. Malasadas were always a favorite....that an pizzas 'n stuff from Da Big Kahuna's near Tripler. Have you ever eaten Thai food from Keo's (now it's in Honolulu). THE BEST THAI! The chef grows his own herbs at his place on North Shore.

The kids used to drink orange mango juice from cans that they really liked!

David B. Beaver said...

Those all look so good, except maybe the jelly filled things...

I miss the pizza and Jamaican food of New York!